Applications for the 2015-16 Class of the President’s Torch Society, a leadership honor society out of the President’s Office, are due on Monday, June 15, 2015. Faculty may nominate students or students may self-nominate by filling out the attached 2015-16 Application and return it with their essay to OfficeofthePresidentInterns@mga.edu.
- Sophomores and Juniors
- At least one representative from each campus, school
- 3.0 GPA
- 200-300 word essay on why you want to join
- 1 faculty recommendation
- Two-year commitment
- 20 hours of service per year, plus monthly meetings
- $300/semester book scholarship for Fall and Spring
- Training in leadership, communication, networking
- Mentoring and public speaking opportunities
- President’s recommendation for work or grad school (upon graduation from society)
Comprised of one representative from each of five campuses, one representative from each of six schools, two at-large members, and two Presidential Interns, the Torch Society provides an opportunity for top scholars interested in leadership at Middle Georgia State to serve the college and the community through the Office of the President by assisting with Convocation, Graduation, and other major institutional events.
Its members, a cross-section of our best and brightest students, make a two-year commitment to representing MGA both on and off campus. They choose one leadership book each year from which to draw insight. They apply the books’ principles to big and small tasks, polish their communication skills, learn about executive decision-making, mentor fellow students, and adhere to Plato’s adage that “Those having torches will pass them on to others.”