Ten Easy Go-Green Ideas for the Office
Every little thing you do makes a difference. Set the standard for your office.
- Keep records electronically on a hard drive, Z-drive, or a shared drive like Dropbox or Google Docs instead of printing everything out.
- When you do have to print, print double-sided to reduce paper use.
- Start a scrap paper collection that can be used for internal notes or other projects.
- Use the mixed and battery recycling bins found in every building instead of trashing recyclable materials. (mga.edu/sustainability for locations)
- Optimize the use of natural light and ventilation.
- Bring reusable mugs and bottles for your beverages.
- Bring your lunch. Not only will this reduce your bills and waist line, it minimizes waste. Ditch those wrappers and paper products for reusable containers and cutlery.
- Turn off your computer and other electronics when you leave for the night or the weekend.
- Forget the screen saver – letting your computer “sleep” or “hibernate” while you are away for a few minutes will save energy.
- Carpool when possible, especially during business trips or long commutes.
from the Office of Risk Management, Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator
- Sustainable Business Toolkit. 2015. “25 Go Green Ideas for the Office that will Rock Your World”. SustainableBusinessToolkit.com. http://www.sustainablebusinesstoolkit.com/going-green-tips-for-the-office/
- Brie Weiler Reynolds. 2011. “30 Ways to Go Green at Work RIGHT NOW”. Flexjobs.com https://www.flexjobs.com/blog/post/30-ways-to-go-green-at-work-right-now/