Important message, your attention is needed! September has been deemed (FERPA) Month. Many of you have heard of FERPA but sometimes are unclear as to what records are protected under the Act. In an effort to comply with the Family Policy Compliance Office of the U.S. Department of Education which oversees FERPA, the University is implementing an annual notification training to remain in compliance. The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 is a Federal Law designed to protect education records. This training addresses FERPA basics, explores requirements for the protection of student records by the university, addresses who may and may not access student records, when those records may be shared, and addresses several of the applicable exceptions to the FERPA requirement.
Here is what to expect:
- Each employee will be enrolled into Brightspace (D2L) class for MGA FERPA Training.
- Each employee will receive an email telling them that they have been enrolled into the class.
- Each employee is required to complete this training annually.
- The training includes a review of the FERPA video and the completion of a quiz.
- A score of 80% is required for successful completion (the quiz may be taken as many times as necessary).
- Upon successful completion, a certificate will be generated which is to be retained by employees to verify proof of completion to their supervisor. The Certificate will expire one year after the date of issue. (Certificate can be printed or kept within the FERPA class in D2L).
- A follow-up email with instructions will be sent from the Registrar.
The FERPA course and quiz will be available from September 11 through September 25, 2019. All University employees on payroll are required to successfully complete the training within the given deadline.