Middle Georgia State University’s Gay-Straight Alliance, a student organization, is teaming up with the institution’s Office of Diversity, Inclusion, and Title IX to host events celebrating LGBT+ History Week. All events are free and open to the public:
· 6 p.m. Monday, Oct. 16, opening day of LGBTQ-themed art exhibit, Ampersand Guild Hall, 382 B Cherry St., Macon. Sponsored by High Street Unitarian Universalist Church.
· Noon to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17, Chanel Haley of Georgia Equality will discuss promoting inclusion for transgender people, Foundation Boardroom in the Student Life Center, Macon Campus, Middle Georgia State University. She will speak more about that topic at 6 p.m. the same day in the Arts Complex Theater, Macon Campus. Sponsored by Middle Georgia State’s Office of Diversity, Inclusion, & Equity and Title IX.
· 11 p.m. – 1 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18, discussion about “Gays with Guns?” and a lantern vigil, Charles H. Jones Building lobby, Macon Campus, Middle Georgia State University. These campaigns are in memory of the 35 LGBT individuals who have lost their lives to hate crimes this year and to educate students about the new campus carry law and gun safety. Representatives of Georgians for Gun Safety, Moms Demand Action, Faith in Public Life, are scheduled to attend, along with the president of College Democrats of Georgia, and Georgia Tech student Jake Orvis.
· 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, 2nd annual LGBT carnival and voter registration drive, Arts Complex Theater lobby, Macon Campus, Middle Georgia State University. Sponsored by Georgia Equality.
· 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 19, forum on civil rights, including a panel discussion about the need for stronger civil rights protections for the LGBT+ community, Taylor Hall’s Peyton Anderson Amphitheater at Wesleyan College. Sponsored by Georgia Equality, Georgia Unites Against Discrimination, Wesleyan College Office of Diversity and Inclusion .
For more information about any of these events, contact DeMarcus Beckham, president of Middle Georgia State’s Gay-Straight Alliance, at email@example.com.