Student Success Center tutors will gladly assist your students this semester via face-to-face and online tutoring. Students can book tutoring appointments for Accounting, Anatomy & Physiology, APA papers, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Economics, English, History, Information Technology, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology, Spanish, and more!
The SSC provides the following services for tutoring across MGA:
· SSC staff members and tutors are available to speak to your classes at the beginning of each semester, regarding SSC tutoring as well as speak to your classes during the semester about study skills
· A sample syllabi insert for the tutoring locations at MGA is attached for your use (see sample at the bottom of this post)
· A notification system, informing when your students go to the SSCs for tutoring: Please let me know if you would like your name added to the notification system
· Students may schedule their own SSC face-to-face and online tutoring sessions through http://www.mga.edu/student-success-center by selecting “Book an Appointment” (this information is included on the sample syllabi insert for your students)
· The Peer Tutor Recommendation Form is digitized at http://www.mga.edu/student-success-center/recommend-a-tutor.aspx (please recommend your best students to us to become tutors!)
In addition to tutoring services for students, the Student Success Center also provides video streaming services for faculty; the ending digits of the passwords have changed for the fall 2019 semester. The root passwords remain the same but the ending digits are now 201908.
Feel free to distribute the current link to your students: http://www.mga.edu/student-success-center/ssc-resources.aspx. If you want me (Paul Johnson) to add new videos or to remove old videos through the end of the year, please let me know.
If you have any other questions regarding SSC resources or workshops, please contact me at the Macon campus at email@example.com, Brock Giddens at the Cochran campus at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Jeannie Ruggerio on the Warner Robins campus at email@example.com.
Thank you for your support of the SSCs!
Sample Syllabus Insert for Tutoring Locations on Campus:
As you prepare your syllabi for this semester, please consider including information about the offerings of the Student Success Centers (SSC) and other tutoring centers on campus. The blurb below is a suggestion for inclusion in your syllabi. Feel free to edit or to add to as you see fit. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Tutoring is available free of charge at all 13 tutoring locations on the 5 MGA campuses for currently enrolled students. To view center contact information, subjects tutored, and tutor availability, go to the SSC website at http://www.mga.edu/student-success-center/. You can now book your own SSC tutoring sessions (face-to-face and online) through the “Book an Appointment” link on the Student Success Center website. Other services at the SSC include online academic workshops and a robust website with resources for academic assistance. The centers also have computer workstations, printing, and Internet access.
How to get the most out of a tutoring session:
- Start right away. Students who begin tutoring from the beginning of the semester typically do better than those who wait.
- Book your appointments early. During peak hours, you may need to book a week in advance to get the times you want.
- Come prepared. Please bring your syllabus, class notes, textbook, and specific assignment. Look over the readings and try the problems. If you can, bring a list of specific questions. The more you prepare, the more you will get out of the session.
- Tutoring is not a substitute for attending class! If you miss a class, first get notes from a classmate.